Bear Viewing Group Tours
There are eight species of bear - American black, polar, giant panda, Asiatic black, sloth bears, sun bears, spectacled bears and brown bears. Steppes Travel have bear watching holidays and bear tours that can take you to see any of these species. Below are some of our bear tours but please do call us and ask our bear experts for more details and information to tailor-make your very own bear watching holiday.
Some facts about bears
- A female is a sow and a male is a boar. A group of bears is called a sleuth or sloth
- Bears are intelligent, have great navigation skills, good memories and use tools in a number of ways
- Bears have an excellent sense of smell and sight and hearing.
- Bears grieve and care deeply about family members
- Bears are omnivores – only the polar bear is a true carnivore
- Bears are bow-legged – making it easier for them to balance and grip
- Bears have non-retractable claws like dogs – indeed the bear ancestor is an offshoot of the Canidae family
- Bears have never lived in Antarctica or Australia. There are no bears in Africa at present but there used to be the Atlas bear
- Koala bears are not bears but marsupials