- For every client booked on our group tour to Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan in 2017 receive a free signed copy of Chris Aslan's new book 'Alabaster: What is Most Precious is Also Most Fragile'.
- This book is a beautifully crafted novel about two sisters who face the stigma of shame, the sorrow of loss, and the startling hope one can find when someone shows you a different way of seeing the world.
- One copy per booking.
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Kunya Urgench and Merv.
- Visit Samarkand's Registan Square, the most spectacular architectural ensemble in Central Asia.
- Wander through the narrow medieval streets of Khiva and the bustling bazaars of Bukhara.
- Receive a copy of Chris Aslan's book 'Alabaster: What is Most Precious is Also Most Fragile'
For millennia, the fabled Silk Road was the sole method of communication and trade between East and West. This tour explores the rich history of Central Asia's two most fascinating countries, linked by their shared importance along this legendary trading route.
Joined by Chris Alexander Aslan, who has travelled extensively, speaks fluent Uzbek and passable Kyrgyz, Tajik and Pamiri. Having lived in Uzbekistan for a number of years, he immersed himself in the history, culture and traditions of the region. During the group tour he will offer a number of interesting and informative lectures.
WHY JOIN THIS GROUP TOUR?
In Uzbekistan, visit perfectly preserved palaces and mosques within the high-walled oasis town of Khiva and marvel at Bukhara's colourful ancient domes. Walk through Samarkand's spectacular Registan Square and admire Tashkent, the country's 2,000-year-old capital.Discover the treasures of Turkmenistan; the ancient capital of Nisa, the mysteries of Gonur Depe and the magnificent UNESCO sites of Merv and Kunya-Urgench.
WHY HAS STEPPES CHOSEN TO WORK WITH CHRIS ASLAN ALEXANDER?
Chris Alexander brings a fresh perspective to the country of Uzbekistan and as a non-national, he will give a different perspective of the country. He will bring you closer to the culture and the people of Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan as he speaks a number of local dialects and lived in Uzbekistan for a number of years.
IS THIS GROUP TOUR SUITABLE FOR SOLO TRAVELLERS?
Our group tours are perfect for solo travellers, as travelling as part of an organised group in faraway places does provide security and peace of mind. We handle all of the arrangements for you and there will be a local tour guide on hand throughout to provide advice and help if needed, as well as the expertise of a Tour Lecturer.
If you are willing to share, we will always do our best to match you up with another solo traveller of the same sex so that you do not have to pay for a single room.
If you would prefer the privacy of your own room and would like this guaranteed, then the single room price supplement will apply.
WHAT IS THE ACCOMMODATION LIKE IN UZBEKISTAN AND TURKMENISTAN?
You will be staying in small local hotels decorated in a typical style and all have private bathrooms.
HOW FIT DO I NEED TO BE TO ENJOY THIS TOUR?
You do not need to be particularly fit and there are no long distance walks involved. However, walking can be on uneven ground so do let us know if you feel you are not particularly steady on your feet.
IS THERE A DRESS CODE IN UZBEKISTAN AND TURKMENISTAN?
Yes, it is important that you cover shoulders, midriffs and legs. Knee length skirts are fine, but no shorts.
For a detailed itinerary or to book your place on this tour, please contact us.