There are few countries in the world that offer as much diversity as South Africa. Whatever your age, from eight to eighty, there are South Africa holiday ideas to suit you. It is the range and diversity of the Rainbow Nation that we so love and that's why South Africa is one of those holiday destinations that you will go back to time and again.
A South Africa holiday has it all: great food, fine wines, dramatic scenery, history and wildlife from penguins to great white sharks, from lions to leopards, from elephants to rhinos. And, although South Africa is vast in size, getting around is quick and easy, meaning that you can combine many of the country's highlights into a single rewarding South Africa trip.
What to expect on your SOUTH AFRICA HOLIDAY
South Africa is a very relaxed country to travel around. The food and wine are delicious and the combination of wide open spaces, soaring mountains, flowers in abundance and incredible wildlife is exhilarating. We can recommend small privately owned hotels which reflect the culture and history of each area. The safari lodges often have swimming pools and spas with separate wildlife and cultural programmes for children, while for beach lovers there are beachside hotels or private, fully staffed villas for rent.
Self-drive is a very popular way to travel around South Africa and, with detailed instructions, it is possible to create a very gentle itinerary allowing plenty of time to stop wherever the mood dictates. Garden lovers too will not be disappointed with enviable flowers and intricate landscaping.
For those wanting to get off the standard tourist trail, we recommend the sleepy Western Cape coast and KwaZulu Natal which is packed with Zulu war history, great hiking in the Drakensberg Mountains and lovely Indian Ocean beaches.
Expect very friendly people, loads of culture and a huge diversity of landscapes, animals and opinions.
Ideas for your South Africa holiday
- Explore chic and cosmopolitan Cape Town, a buzzing city dominated by Table Mountain
- Go in search of the Big 5 on safari in the Kruger National Park
- Spend three days at Fugitives Drift and listen to tales of the Battle of Isandlwana or the fight at Rorke’s Drift
- Take a wine tasting tour of the Cape Winelands, by foot, bicycle or on horseback
- Walk with elephants, have a go at surfing and enjoy photographic tuition at a safari lodge on a self-drive trip along the Garden Route
- Experience some of the best whale watching in the world off the Hermanus coast
- Help support rhino conservation on our Rhino Conservation Group Tour with hands-on notching and micro chipping of your very own rhino
- Rent a private, fully staffed house on the beach
- Take a horse riding holiday through the Waterberg on well-schooled horses through diverse terrain
- Go on safari, staying either in a private game reserve or at a lodge in the huge and wildlife-rich Kruger National Park
- South Africa offers Africa’s only malaria-free safari destinations – perfect for family holidays
- Have a close up encounter with dolphins and whales off the coast of Plettenberg bay
- Steer a catamaran through the Knysna Heads into the open ocean.
- Go further afield and combine a holiday to the tropical beaches of Mozambique, Seychelles and Mauritius with your South African safari.
Beyond the ordinary
- Dart a rhino – conservation in action
- Fly over the Cape Ocean in search of the giants of the sea.
Our South Africa Holiday Experts
Both Illona and Bridget were born in South Africa and have travelled around the country from an early age. Illona qualified as a safari guide and worked in various lodges before joining Steppes in 2000 and has since returned on many occasions with her children. Bridget also has 16 years travel experience. We are lucky to have such experts on hand to help you create your perfect South Africa safari holiday.
Call our travel experts on 01285 655011 to start planning your South Africa holiday.