There are few countries in the world that offer the same level of diversity of holidays as South Africa. Whether you are 8, 18, 30 or 60 there are South Africa holiday ideas to suit all ages. It is the range and diversity of the Rainbow Nation that we so love and is why South Africa is one of those holiday destinations that you will go back to time and time again.
A South Africa holiday has it all: great food, fine wines, dramatic scenery, history and wildlife from penguins to great white sharks, from lions to leopard, from elephant to rhino. And although vast in size, getting around South Africa is quick and easy, making a combination of the county’s highlights not only possible but for a rewarding South Africa holiday.
What to expect on your SOUTH AFRICA HOLIDAY
Aside from delicious food and wine, South Africa is a very relaxed country to travel around. The exhilaration of wide open spaces, soaring mountains, flowers in abundance and small privately owned hotels which reflect the culture and history of each area. The safari lodges often have swimming pools and spas with separate wildlife and cultural programmes for children, while for beach lovers there are hotels or private, fully staffed villas for rent.
Self-drive is a very popular South Africa holiday option and with detailed instructions it is possible to create a very gentle itinerary allowing plenty of time to stop wherever the mood dictates. Garden lovers too will not be disappointed with enviable flowers and intricate landscaping.
For those wanting to get off track, we recommend the sleepy Western Cape coast and KwaZulu Natal which is packed with Zulu war history, great hiking in the Drakensberg Mountains and lovely Indian Ocean beaches.
Expect very friendly people, loads of culture and a huge diversity of landscapes, animals and opinions.
Ideas for your South Africa holiday
- Explore chic and cosmopolitan Cape Town, a buzzing city dominated by Table Mountain
- Go in search of the Big 5 on safari in the Kruger National Park
- Spend three days at Fugitives Drift and listen to tales of the Battle of Isandlwana or the fight at Rorke’s Drift.
- Take a wine tasting tour of the Cape Winelands, by foot, bicycle or on horseback
- A self-drive along the Garden Route, walk with elephants, learn to surf, enjoy photographic tuition at a safari lodge
- Witness some of the best whale watching in the world off the Hermanus coast
- Help support rhino conservation on our Rhino Conservation Group Tour with hands on notching and micro chipping your very own rhino
- Rent a private, fully staffed house on the beach
- Take a horse riding holiday through the Waterberg on well-schooled horses through diverse terrain
- Go on safari staying either in a private game reserve or at a lodge in the huge and wildlife rich Kruger National Park.
- South Africa offers Africa’s only malaria free safari destinations – perfect for family holidays
- Have a close up encounter with dolphins and whales off the coast of Plettenberg bay.
- Steer a catamaran through the Knysna heads into the open ocean.
- If the South African beaches are not for you then you can easily access the tropical beaches of Mozambique, Seychelles and Mauritius after a safari.
Beyond the ordinary
- Dart a rhino – conservation in action
- Fly over the cape ocean in search of the giants of the sea.
Our South Africa Holiday Experts
Both Illona and Bridget were born in South Africa and have travelled around the country from an early age. Illona qualified as a safari guide and worked in various lodges before joining Steppes in 2000 and has since returned on many occasions with her children. Bridget similarly has 16 years travel experience. We are lucky to have such experts in creating South Africa safari holidays.
Call our travel experts on 01285 655011 to start planning your South Africa holiday.