A holiday to New Zealand truly is a trip of a lifetime. New Zealand is home to some of the most beautiful and diverse scenery in the world and in a single day you could pass soaring volcanic peaks, drive through dense forest with lakes and rivers, across fertile plains and end on a glorious beach. And remember that in autumn the colours are just magical
Why we like New Zealand
Wide open spaces, outstandingly beautiful and varied scenery, a healthy outdoor lifestyle, world class cuisine and wines, warm friendly people and a pleasant climate are just a few of the many reasons why we love to holiday in New Zealand. The country is about the same size as Great Britain, and yet the population is many times smaller with just four million people.
What to expect on your New Zealand holiday
New Zealand society is diverse, sophisticated, and multicultural, and the honesty, friendliness, and openness of Kiwis will impress you. The culture of its indigenous Maori people affects the language, the arts, and even the accents of all New Zealanders. Their place in the South Pacific and their love of the outdoors, sport and the arts make New Zealanders and their culture unique in the world.
As you might imagine, accommodation in New Zealand comes in every shape, size and style, so discuss your likes and dislikes with our team. The roadss tend to be empty and New Zealanders drive on the left making it the ideal self-drive destination. For the ultimate adventure consider a helicopter flight through Hobbit country.
Some ideas for a New Zealand holiday
- Take a tour through the wine growing areas and ship a few cases home.
- Famous for its geysers and bubbling mud pools, Rotorua is the geothermal centre of New Zealand.
- To see New Zealand’s most endangered bird species, take a trip out to Kapiti Island - access is restricted to just 50 people a day.
- For dolphins and whales in abundance, Kaikoura is the place to go.
- The southern tip is a land of beautiful fjords and glaciers. Take a gentle cruise through the ice blue waters.
- Kayak in the crystal clear waters of the Abel Tasman National Park.
- Heli-hike on one of the west coast glaciers such as the Franz Josef or Fox Glacier.
Beyond the ordinary
A helicopter tour of Milford Sound offers a trip of a lifetime as well as a stunning glacier landing in Fiordland National Park.
New Zealand has many beautiful botanic and private gardens in stunning locations. Steppes Travel can organise private garden tours or include a garden festival within an itinerary. Waiheke Island Garden Safari ( November) and Taranaki Garden Festival(Oct/Nov) are well known events.
our new zealand expertise
Our expert travel consultants Clare and Charlie have travelled the length and breadth of the islands. Our aim is to use their specialist knowledge to step away from mainstream tourism and give you a different holiday to New Zealand by introducing you to the less travelled areas while ensuring you still visit the important sites.