Our MD Justin, has this to say: "There are two things that you need to know about a holiday to Mexico: it is huge and there are lots of speed bumps. The first is important in understanding and appreciating the great diversity of this country and the second is a minor irritant that will not detract from what will be a truly great holiday".
Why we like Mexico
Spanish colonial architecture, bougainvillea-draped courtyards, cobbled streets, museums and art galleries. Whales, beautiful Caribbean beaches, deserts, mountains, festivals, music and some fantastic hotels. A holiday to Mexico may not be top of the list of every traveller but it should be. We love it. Did we mention tequila?
What to expect on your Mexican holiday
This huge and historic country spans a range of habitats, from snow-capped mountains through pine-forested highlands to tropical rainforest and dry cactus deserts. Great cultures and empires such as the Olmecs, Maya and Aztecs have left their mark on Mexican traditions, culture and people. There is whale watching to be had in Baja California as well as the chance to see the dramatic migration of the monarch butterflies. Mexico also holds some of the world’s most famous and impressive archaeological sites including the huge pyramids of Teotihuacan, the extensively restored site of Chichen Itza and an exciting number of lesser known ruins, mainly around the Yucatan Peninsula, that benefit from being only partially cleared, allowing you the occasional Indiana Jones moment as you wander among their vine-covered crumbling pyramids and plazas.
Some ideas for a Mexican holiday
- Ride the Copper Canyon Railway, often considered to be the most dramatic train journey in the western hemisphere.
- Sip tequila at sunset on a rooftop bar overlooking the historic main square of Mexico City.
- Hire a private guide to explore the Mayan archaeological sites that litter the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Explore markets and the colonial heritage of the highland towns Oaxaca and San Cristobal.
- Watch the annual migration of the monarch butterfly as literally millions lift into the air at once.
- Spend time whale watching on the Pacific coast, or swim with whale sharks in the Caribbean.
- Stay in a boutique hotel or rent a private villa on the Caribbean coast.
Beyond the ordinary
A private charter of Besame Mucho – the ultimate way to enjoy the unrivalled Sea of Cortez.