Malaysia's diverse cultural history has led to an open-minded approach to tourism, with a melting pot of Malay, Chinese and Indian cultures together with the indigenous tribes. This diversity means that when you visit Malaysia you're treated to varied architecture, culture and of course delicious cuisines. From the skyscrapers and modernity of Kuala Lumpur to the dense rainforests of both Borneo and the mainland, a Malaysia holiday encapsulates South-East Asia in its entirety.
MALAYSIA AIRLINES NEW YEAR SALE
Add Malaysia and Borneo to your Wish List for 2017.
Book your holiday and flights with Steppes Travel before the 28th February, for travel anytime between now and the 30th June 2017, and again from 15th August to the 6th December 2017 to benefit from half price airfares with Malaysia Airlines. Take your family for the ultimate school holiday adventure in the rainforests of Borneo or the beach resorts of Langkawi.
What to expect on your Malaysia holiday
Synonymous with the mystery of the Far East, Malaysia still conjures visions of rubber trees, sultans, jungles, pirates, head-hunters and exotic beaches but while the pirates and head-hunters have largely retired, the rest remains. Malaysia's endless glorious beaches tend to be the initial lure and there are some truly sensational resorts that will pamper you and cater to your every need. Explore further and you find colonial hill stations, dense primary rainforest, tea plantations and some fascinating wildlife, including the endearing orang-utan. In addition there are the UNESCO sites of George Town and Malacca where four centuries of European influence have left churches, forts, houses and grandiose administrative buildings.
Some ideas for a Malaysia holiday
- Don’t forget that part of Borneo belongs to Malaysia.
- Walk trails in the dense rainforest of Taman Negara Park.
- Spend a few days in the colonial atmosphere of the Cameron Highlands with its waterfalls, tea plantations and local tribes.
- Journey down the Kinabatangan River in search of proboscis monkey
- Spend time with Asia's only great ape, the iconic orang-utan.
- There are glorious beach resorts on all the coasts and some excellent diving.
Beyond the ordinary
did you know
- Malaysia is one of the eco hotspots of the world and a centre of biodiversity with 68% of the world’s coral as compared with 8% in the Caribbean
- Malaysia has 36% of the world’s marine fish.
- There are 60 types of mangrove in the world, Malaysia has 48 and Langkawi has 45 (Brazil only has 9).
- There are over 795 species of birds in Malaysia with 10 types of hornbills.
- There are 9 species of wildcats.
- Malaysia is the butterfly capital of the world with over 1684 species in Malaysia (the UK has 65).
- Malaysia has the Big 5 plus one as it has two types of elephant.
Our Malaysia Holiday Travel Experts
Charlie and Clare have a wealth of travel experience and a particular passion for South East Asia. Both have recently returned from a trip to Malaysian and Indonesian Borneo which has only served to enhance their love for this part of the world.
Making A Difference
If spending some time with orangutans is your prime objective on your holiday to Malaysia then we definitely have the right expertise, not least because of our very close relationship with the Orangutan Foundation.