Why we like Jordan
Jordan is a remarkably easy and sophisticated country to visit. From the moment you arrive into Amman airport the system works smoothly and effortlessly. Excellent hotels, good roads and charming guides all go to make any holiday in Jordan a memorable experience. Jordanian food is delicious and there are enough attractions and sites to visit to make each day a new adventure for adults and children alike. What’s more it is easily accessible from London.
What to expect on your Jordan holiday
Jordan's small size sometimes takes people by surprise. From north to south it is just 150 miles long and so with the good motorway it is easy to cover the distance quickly. However like all motorways, its very existence can spoil the opportunity to truly experience all that Jordan has to offer. It is a good idea to take the slow road in at least one direction so that you can really take the time to explore.
The highlight of any holiday to Jordan tends to be the rose pink Nabataean city of Petra but be warned, it is no longer the lost city that was rediscovered by Johann Burckhardt but is now a bustling tourist centre that admits half a million tourists a year. Our advice is to go early in the morning.
Some ideas for a Jordan holiday
- Spend two days being pampered in a spa beside the Dead Sea, benefitting from the mineral-rich mud.
- Jerash is much underestimated, an impressive Roman site.
- Rise early and visit Petra just as the sun comes up. Beautiful, and you will miss the crowds.
- Camp out in Wadi Rum beside T. E. Lawrence’s Seven Pillars.
- Go riding in the Petra National Park.
- An absolute must is to drive along the King’s Highway dropping down into Wadi Mujib - Jordan’s Grand Canyon.