India is one of the most exciting and fascinating countries on Earth, offering incredible diversity from the mighty Himalayas in the north to the Andaman Islands and beaches of the tropical south. Vast rivers, rolling tea estates, colourful cities and abundant wildlife make a holiday to India feel like a visit to more than just one country.
With the remake of Disney’s Jungle Book on our screens last year and the release of Viceroy's House in our cinemas from March there is much inspiration for a trip to India. Follow in the footsteps of the royal visit by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, or go "on location" at the filming locations including Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur.
Every holiday to India requires intrinsic planning. Let us help craft a personalised holiday itinerary or recommend one of our small, expert-led group tours.
Explore the highlights of India
- Stay in luxurious leading hotels such as Oberoi thoughout Rajasthan.
- Visit remote villages with strong cultural identity and stay in small, boutique heritage hotels.
- Arun Pratop leads our small group tour of Rajasthan. Benefit from afterhours events and private tours in the company of experts.
- Take a Jeep ride in search of tiger. See our Safari guide for where to go and when.
- Join a wildlife group tour to experience and learn about a variety of endangered species.
- Stay at Taj Mahua Kothi Lodge in Kanha National Park for the ultimate luxury tiger safari.
- Spend time on board a private houseboat, cruising the backwaters of Kerala.
- Visit the tea plantations of Munnar and experience spectacular scenery.
- Relax on the white sandy beaches at Neeleshwar Hermitage and indulge in the art of Ayurveda.
- Board the M.V. Mahabaahu and experience one of the Asia’s largest rivers, the Brahamputra.
- Discover remote towns and villages lining the banks of India’s sacred Ganges River, cruising between Kolkata and as far north as Varanasi.
- From Kolkata cruise the charming Hooghley River on the ABN Rajmahal.
Meet our India Specialists
Without a doubt a holiday to India requires some planning and the best place to start is to call one of our extremely knowledgeable and experienced travel consultants. Joe, Charlie and Kate have considerable experience of creating exciting, interesting and varied holidays to India without losing sight of the “must-see” places.
What to expect on your India holiday
Forget the stereotypes, go with an open mind. Don’t expect anything and every day will bring new experiences. Whether it is architecture, food or local customs, India is unpredictable. Go with the flow. Our expertise and contacts are there to reduce any delays in your India holiday and to help you negotiate Indian bureaucracy. We are there to ensure your holiday goes as smoothly as possible. Hotels cater to every level of requirement from the utterly fabulous to slightly quirky palaces of Maharajas where old family retainers look after you in a wonderfully haphazard fashion. In addition, sophisticated African-style tented camps have sprung up near the game parks.
Some ideas for your India holiday
- Rajasthan - The desert region of north-west India. Home to the Rajputs and famous for the glorious Hindu architecture of Jodhpur and Jaipur.
- Kerala - Spend a few days drifting down the waterways on a luxury riverboat.
- Kashmir - Stay on a house boat and enjoy a shikara water safari.
- Ladakh - The last bastion of true Tibetan Buddhism.
- Golden Triangle Holidays - For the first time visitor to India, our Golden Triangle holidays allow you to see the very best of the country through the three well-known cities Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.
- River cruise holiday in India - There are a number of small luxury river boats allowing you to access remote areas in comfort.
- Tiger Safari Holidays in India - A tiger safari holiday with Steppes Travel ensures you the best chance of seeing a tiger and first-hand access to the conservation work behind your holiday.
Advice from our India Experts
India is less a country, or even a subcontinent, but more a world of its own. Soaring mountain peaks, vast deserts, mega cities bursting with colour and clamour, ancient civilizations, unique wildlife, fabulous food. Whatever you crave from your travels India will deliver in spades. And throw in the odd surprise or two. With some of the world’s best hotels to retreat to after a day’s explorations what is stopping you?
Joe Parkes | Steppes Travel India Expert