We love India for many reasons. The kaleidoscope of colours, the smell of incense, the sheer volume of people, cows blocking traffic on a main thoroughfare, the food and the wandering sadhus. If you love it as we do you develop a magnetic attraction which draws you back time and time again.
What to expect on your India holiday
Forget the stereotypes. Go to India with an open mind, don’t expect anything and every day will bring new experiences. Whether it is architecture, food or local customs, India is unpredictable. Go with the flow. There will be delays, there will be bureaucracy which defies logic and yet somehow everything moves forward on the great wheel of life. Hotels cater to every level of requirement from the utterly fabulous to slightly quirky palaces of Maharajas where old family retainers still look after guests in a wonderfully haphazard fashion. In addition sophisticated African-style tented camps have sprung up near the game parks. Internal flights take time and traffic can be wearisome so consider trains. There is little better way to see the countryside.
Some ideas for travelling in India
- Rajasthan is the desert region of north-west India, home to the Rajputs and famous for the glorious Hindu architecture of Jodhpur and Jaipur. Home also to the magnificent Taj-operated palaces, Umaid Bhawan and Rambagh Palace.
- Kerala - Spend a few days drifting down the waterways on a luxury river boat of your own, daily life unfolding as you go.
- Kashmir - At long last this summer mountain retreat is opening its doors to tourism once more. Stay on a house boat and be taken on day trips paddled in style on a shikara water safari.
- Ladakh is the last bastion of true Tibetan Buddhism and still has relatively few tourists. Experience its traditional culture on a walking tour passing wonderful old monasteries, isolated villages, glaciers and desert.
- Golden Triangle holidays - If you're a first time visitor to India, our Golden Triangle holidays allow you to see the very best of the country including the three most famed cities Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. From marvelling at iconic architechure and monuments retelling centuries old history to viewing spectacular wildlife on our tiger safaris, a Golden Triangle holiday provides your perfect introduction to India.
- River cruise holiday in India - There are now a number of small luxury river boats with very interesting programmes that can take you into previously inaccessible areas.
- Tiger Safari holidays in India - Succesful tiger sightings depend on being in the right place at the right time. To ensure the best game drive allocations you need to book early.We will advise you where private vehicles are possible, so you can maximise your enjoyment through having exclusive access to a dedicated naturalist. The Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve is one of India's best protected tiger reserves and the film below gives an insight into their work. A tiger safari holiday with Steppes Travel will ensure that you have first hand access to the conservation work behind your holiday.
- Watch the sun rise over the Taj Mahal from your private balcony at Amarvilas.
- Stay at blissfully cool tea plantations in the foothills of the Himalaya.
- Sight leopards on safari at Jawai Camp, Rajasthan.
- Witness the oldest festivals of India, from the cattle fair at Bateshwar to the Hornbill festival in Nagaland.
Beyond the ordinary
Our India Experts
Joe and Kate both visited India during their formative years and have returned on numerous occasions in the years since. Both have considerable experience of creating exciting, interesting and unusual holidays to India without losing sight of the “must-see” places.
Call our travel experts on 01285 651010 to start planning your India holiday.