Why we like Greenland holidays
Whether travelling in search of solitude in Greenland’s magnificent landscapes, chanced sightings of the local Arctic wildlife or to experience the ethereal flickering of the Northern Lights, a Greenland holiday is as spellbinding as it is diverse.
What to expect on your Greenland holiday
Greenland, the world’s largest island and the least densely populated country in the world, is ice-locked and rarely visited for much of the year. Thus in spite of its name – it was named to try and entice settlers – it is not green (for most of the year). However, as the pack ice breaks up, late summer offers a brief opportunity for a Greenland holiday and a chance to access its dramatic mountain scenery and gigantic icebergs. A window in which to experience Greenland's majestic scenery, iceberg-strewn waters and some of the world’s most spectacular landscapes. Greenlanders call their country Kalaallit Nunaat, which literally means land of the Kalaallit, the indigenous Inuits.
Some ideas for a Greenland holiday
- Search for Arctic wildlife including musk ox, narwhal, gyr falcon and walrus
- A Greenland cruise around Disko Bay in search of Bowhead whales and Arctic wildlife
- Explore the remote wilderness and wildlife of East Greenland
- An Arctic cruise that incorporates Spitsbergen, Iceland and East Greenland
- One of the best locations to see the Aurora Borealis
- Learn about Inuit culture and traditions on the world’s largest island
Our Greenland holidays expertise
We have been offering expeditionary cruises of Greenland for over five years. Our Greenland holiday specialist, Sue has visited Greenland on many occasions and can use her detailed knowledge of the country to help plan the perfect Greenland holiday for you. Sue is knowledgeable on the western side of the island, having combined the Canadian Arctic with western Greenland, which included the immense Disko Bay, responsible for a vast annual output of icebergs, including the purported iceberg which sunk The Titanic.
Call our travel experts on 01285 885333 to start planning your Greenland holiday.