Why we like Greenland holidays
A Greenland holiday is as spellbinding as it is diverse. Whether you're travelling in search of solitude in Greenland’s magnificent landscapes, hoping for chance sightings of the local Arctic wildlife or there to experience the ethereal flickering of the Northern Lights, a Greenland holiday offers magical experiences at every turn.
What to expect on your Greenland holiday
Greenland is both the world’s largest island and its least densely populated country. For much of the year it is ice-locked and little visited. Thus, in spite of its name - it was named to try and entice settlers - it is not green, at least not for most of the year. However, as the pack ice breaks up, late summer offers a brief opportunity for a Greenland holiday and a chance to access its dramatic mountain scenery and gigantic icebergs. A window in which to experience Greenland's majestic scenery, iceberg-strewn waters and some of the world’s most spectacular landscapes.
Some ideas for a Greenland holiday
- Search for Arctic wildlife including musk ox, narwhals, gyr falcons and walruses
- Take a cruise around Disko Bay in search of bowhead whales and Arctic wildlife
- Explore the remote wilderness and wildlife of East Greenland
- Set sail on an Arctic cruise incorporating Spitsbergen, Iceland and East Greenland
- One of the best locations to see the Aurora Borealis
- Learn about indiginous Kalaallit Inuit culture and traditions (Greenlanders call their island Kalaallit Nunaat, literally 'land of the Kalaallit')
Our Greenland holidays expertise
We have been offering expeditionary cruises to Greenland for many years now. Sue, our Greenland holiday specialist, has visited the country many times and will use her detailed knowledge to help plan the perfect Greenland holiday for you. She has visited both the eastern and western sides of the island and recommends combining a trip to the Canadian Arctic with a visit to western Greenland. Western Greeland includes the immense Disko Bay which is responsible for a vast annual output of icebergs including, supposedly, the iceberg which sunk The Titanic.
Call our travel experts on 01285 885333 to start planning your Greenland holiday.