Steppes Travel offers an exciting choice of holidays to visit the Amazon rainforest. The world's biggest tropical rainforest covers a large area of north east Brazil, and extends into Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia,Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana.
The Amazon has one of the richest and more diverse ecosystems - there are around 40,000 plant species, 1,300 bird species, 3,000 types of fish, 430 mammals and over 2.5 million different insects. It can be explored from a comfortable lodge on the edge of the river, by small expeditionary boat cruising along the Amazon and its tributaries or get hands on and stay with researchers in simple properties deep in the forest.
Some ideas for your Amazon cruise
- Experience the world’s mightiest river, stretching over 3,700 miles and encompassing eight countries
- Cruise deep into the Amazonian rainforest to get a true sense of its sheer scale and unparalleled diversity
- Home to over a third of all wildlife species on earth, the Amazon is well-suited to those with a strong naturalist interest
- Good chance to see pink river dolphin, various species of primate, sloth and abundant birdlife
- We offer authentic Amazon cruises travelling off the beaten track for a full examination of Amazon ecology
OUR AMAZON CRUISE EXPERTISE
Sue, our Amazon specialist, has travelled along the Amazon on board the Tucano on a memorable eight day expeditionary voyage exploring the Rio Negro, one of the Amazon’s largest but least explored major tributaries. She's also travelled aboard a number of other boats so can offer first hand advice when planning your own Amazon cruise.